Tuesday, February 18, 2014

6 of Hufflepuff: Happiness


6 of Hufflepuff: Happiness (or Nostalgia)

Meaning of the card facing you: looking back, nostalgia, connected to children, childhood
Meaning of the card facing away from you: not being able to let go, getting stuck in the past, naivety

To be honest, I messed up a tiny bit on this one. I named this card Happiness, when I should have named it something else. Happiness/Joy is the 9th card, if I am remembering correctly, but I got the meaning behind the card and who I chose right, just used the wrong title. it probably doesn't matter that much in the long run. But if it bugs me a lot, I might redo the card.

Hagrid, I feel represents these interpretations of the cards very well. He is a big part of the change in Harry's view on the world. Hagrid is the one who introduces Harry to the wizarding world when he is eleven and remained a friend for the rest of his life. He gave Harry his family back with an album that held pictures from Harry's family's childhood and life, in a way giving Harry a way to connect to this parents and their friends in a way that he hadn't before. He was able to find connections to Sirius and his parents through the album. He was Harry's first friend which is a pretty important person to be for an eleven-year-old in my opinion.

Hagrid's connection to innocence/naivety is there as well. He is kind of naive when it comes to teaching his students and dealing with people like Draco Malfoy and Professor Umbridge. He doesn't realize how scary/dangerous the creatures are (like the blast-ended skrewts, buckbeak, but also Aragog) and doesn't really know how to teach about them. He ends up messing up a lot when Umbridge comes to inspect his class. He is also innocent for what he is accused of int he third book as well as the first time he was accused of it as well. (and by this roundabout way of saying it I am talking about how he was accused of setting the creature from the chamber of secrets on the students and Hogwarts. He was innocent when accused of this both times, but no one believes him until Harry proves it.

I want to say that I have evidence or some way to show that Hagrid is stuck in the past, but I can't really think of something, it's just a feeling I have. Most of the adult wizards and witches in the wizarding world are stuck in the past a bit. Everyone praises Harry for something he does not remember, they all flinch at the sound of Voldemort's name. Of course, they are at war in a way o it makes sense to refer back to the previous war against Voldemort though I think there are limits that people cross, even without realizing it. Especially with Slytherins who are never given a chance to prove that they are not all dark wizards who want to eradicate muggles. Most wizards are stuck in ideas of the past which is good in some ways, but damaging in others. I associate this with Hagrid in some ways (and I cannot explain exactly why)

No comments:

Post a Comment