Saturday, March 9, 2013

Figuring it out

Once I was done researching the meanings behind the different tarot cards, I made a list of the cards and which Harry Potter characters and events seemed to matched up with the meaning of each one. Tarot decks have 22 Major Arcana cards, 4 Aces, 4 Princesses, 4 Princes, 4 Queens, 4 Kings, and 4 of cards 2 through 10 in each suit (wands, cups, swords, disks/pentacle). In total there are 78 cards.
Because this is a Harry Potter tarot deck, I changed the names a bit:
Aces to The Founders of Hogwarts, Princess to the Ghosts of the four houses, Prince to the animal that represents each of the four houses, Queen to the Quidditch captain of each house, and the Kings to the head of each house. Wands are Gryffindor, Cups are Slytherin, Swords are Ravenclaw, and Disks/Pentacles are Hufflepuff.

The meanings/symbols/things behind each suit are (that I found in a few different places online)*:
Wands: diamond, fire, South, Summer, noon, raw energy, peasants/serfs
Cups: heart, water, West, Autumn, sunset, emotions and psyche, clergy
Swords: spade, air, East, Spring, sunrise, intellectuals
Disks/Pentacles: club, Earth, North, Winter, midnight, physical and material, merchant/artisans

I'll explain the meaning behind each of the other cards with the pictures of the cards themselves when I post them (after I complete them).

Here is what my list of cards looks like:




I consulted a lot of my friends as well as my parents and my brothers about almost each card, explaining to them why I thought the Harry Potter thing fit and asking if they agreed with me or had other ideas that I could think about. (My math teacher, who is very nice, asked us to be quiet a bunch of times when we talked about it during class so I had to talk to people outside of class or during my frees)

In the end, there are more than a few cards that I will have more than one card for, mostly because I couldn't decide between two things that could fit. An example of this is that I am going to end up making about four different cards for is the card Death (the XIII Major Arcana card) because there are many things in Harry Potter that fit the meaning behind that card.

*Any card can mean different things to different people depending on how they look at them. Based on the research that I did and the meanings that I found, this list is what I have decided these suits mean for me and my Harry Potter card deck. This goes for all of the cards I post on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment